The Unlikely Pair


Hi Everyone!! My reading progress lately has skyrocketed up because of my free time now that Spring Show is over! I am back to the pace I was at the entire semester and I have even gotten ahead of that pace. I surpassed my goal of reading 75 books this semester and have currently read 76. I am so thrilled and ecstatic to have picked back up my reading pace! I also can not wait for the summer because I will have plenty of free time to read anything I want to. Without further ado, the book that I just finished, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

This book is the book I chose to read as my AP title. Steinbeck does a brilliant job combining friendship with dreams, ambition, and loneliness. The story is about an unlikely pair of male migrant workers trying to find a job. What makes them so unusual and unlikely is that one, migrant workers normally only care for themselves, and two, the men (George and Lennie) are complete opposites of each other. George is small and somewhat smart whereas Lennie is very big and tall and has a somewhat severe mental disorder. They were the most unlikely pair to fall in line together and take care of each other yet they did, which is Steinbeck's use of friendship. My absolute favorite line in the entire book is said at the end and beginning, "'An' I got you. We got each other, that's what, that gives a hoot in hell about us,' Lennie cried in triumph" (104). This text is explaining how they will have each others backs and care about each other while no one else will. The loneliness ties in with the rest of the migrant workers and the loneliness in their life. They are all alone and do not have any family around them and the only people to keep them company is the other migrant workers. Some of the migrant workers (Slim, Candy, and Crooks), for the most part have bigger dreams than working for someone else. They have ambition to move up and to open their own farms and be the bosses. Of Mice and Men is a fantastic book to read, (despite the ending), through high school because of the main themes. I deal with loneliness on a daily basis but I also have fantastic friends and I have dreams and ambition for what I want to do when I grow up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Failed Dating Game

Lights! Camera! Read!